Thursday, May 5, 2011

Applique Pillowcase Tutorial

I have made many of these for my kiddos and for others who have ordered from me and all the kids (and some adults) love them!! It is really easy if you have a machine and can do satin stitching- if not you could still get all the pieces cut out and the pillowcase, thread, and ribbon and get someone to do it for you... or you could order one from me on my etsy site :)
first you need your materials: heat and bond, fabrics, matching thread and ribbon. and a pillowcase (I like the canopy brand 300 Egyptian cotton ones)
cut your letters or images out of the heat and bond (you must do this with the letters you are tracing upside down or the glue will not be on the right side for your fabric) You can print out letters to trace on a computer or just make your own templates.
this one I accidentally made upside down and now the glue side is on the bottom and I can't iron it to the fabric
after you iron the glue to the fabric peel off the paper backing and iron it to the pillowcase wherever you want it and get ready to sew
satin stitch all around every letter leaving long tails at the beginnings and ends to tie off into knots to prevent fraying.. also backstitch
this is what a finished letter looks like... you can make your stitches wider, but the material will fray a bit if you do but will still last quite a while
after you are done tie off the ends on the front and the back or you can use fray check but it leaves a rubbery area and must be dried for about a day afterwards before you can use it

this is a close up of a finished heart.
feel free to add any designs be creative that is what makes it fun!

this is my finished pillowcase without the ribbon added along the side (may need a bit of ironing lol)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I heart comments!!